Clothing choice is a very personal decision, however, if I can provide you with some guidelines in your choice we will create an image that lasts through time and is not dated with a specific fad or trend.
Think about how this image or series of images will be used: Wall Portrait; Album Print; Part of a Collection of Images; or a Headshot for LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and other social platforms. With the ‘end in mind’ your clothing choices may change!
General Clothing Suggestions For Your Photo Session
- Determine whether the session will be casual or dressy.
- Select colors that are complimentary to your skin tones.
- Avoid pale yellows and pale greens.
- Earth tones, jewel tones, primary colors, and bright colors can be photographed well.
- Avoid clothing with shoulder pads..
- Simple clothing photographs best.
- Avoid busy patterns.
- Remember black and white clothes photograph well in color.
- Textures and simple layers are great!
- Furs photograph well and are stunning… but many not make a politically correct statement in some social media platforms.
- Think head to toe on all clothing selections.
- Shoes need to be polished and tennis shoes bleached clean.
- When in doubt, bring several favorite clothing choices and we can offer suggestions.
- Color schemes for families need to be planned:
- Group photographs need all clothing to compliment each other. One orange shirt in a group of blue may not part of your plan! 🙂
- A general color scheme like blues in the shirts and jeans, tans or khaki slacks might be a simple idea.
- The clothing should be ‘weather aware’… long sleeve shirts on a beach scene may not fit but long sleeve shirts in a fall scene might be perfect!
For Men Only!
- Have a fresh shave for the photo session, because it is impossible to have a beard (shadow) removed.
- Remember that your hands may show, so they need to be clean.
- If you are planning to wear a necktie, select a tie that doesn’t have a busy pattern but compliments your jacket.
- To prevent eyeglass glare, ask your optometrist to remove the lenses if they are not “glare-free” lenses. Some people choose not to wear their glasses.
- Solid color shirts are preferred, and white works well.
- Shoes should be polished. Avoid shoes with scuff marks when you are in a full length photo.
- Just before your photo session, check clothing and hair styling,.. head to toe..
For Engagement Photos
- If we are to provide an engagement announcement or ‘save the date’ photo, plan on a couple of hours and some fun along the way!
- Consult with newspapers for time frames, and alert the us on all deadlines.
- Schedule the session ahead of time to avoid missing deadlines.
- Please alert the photographer about special poses and/or requests.
- Including any location requests.
- Determine if you want traditional or an artistic portrait.
- Select clothing following the general guidelines above.
- If you have your own Makeup Artist, or would like us to arrange for one, please let us know when booking the session.
- Select the time of day that your child feels best.
- Determine if the clothing will be casual or dressy.
- Select a backdrop color if appropriate for your portraits.
- Determine if the session is to be in our studio, in your home, or outdoors.
- If outdoors, receive permission from owner/manager of property to have the photo session.
- Bring your child’s favorite toys.
- Bring juice, cereal, and crackers for your child to nibble.
- Young children and unruly pets do not mix together!
- Please do not tell your child to smile: simply let them know they are going to have their photograph taken, and they will have fun in this studio.
- We find that the best results take place when the parents allow the photographer to control the photo session.
- Please, assist only when requested by the photographer.
- You may be in the studio/shooting area while your child is being photographed.
Get ready to laugh, smile, and make some wonderful photographs!